For such a seemingly simple dish, perfect poached eggs can be a tricky one to master.
1. Use a deep, large pan to poach an egg. Fill it with plenty of water and add a pinch of salt and a dash of white wine vinegar. This will help set the egg.
2. Bring the water to the boil and use a slotted spoon to create a whirlpool in the water. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. You may want to crack it into a ramekin first – using a separate vessel helps the egg keep its shape.
3. Let the egg set for 3-5 minutes depending on how runny you want it. You can use a slotted spoon to take it out and lightly squeeze it to test. Crack the egg onto a plate and then tip it into the water.
Time as follows:
* 3 minutes for a completely runny yolk
* 4 minutes for a slightly set yolk with a runny middle
* 5 minutes for a firm yolk
4. Remove the poached egg from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain.